Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Let the good times roll…

Since we are based in New Orleans, today’s musings should probably relate to Mardi Gras. Based on the reactions I get when I tell people where I am from, it seems that the city and the holiday are one in the minds of many people.

Sure, I could tell you about all the interesting lore, about Kings’ Night and king cake, the “super krewes” and the wild weekend leading to MG day. But you could “Google” enough information to know more about it than I do. You are probably saying about now that you won’t do any research, but since I have your attention, you might be interested if I wanted to tell you more about it.

I could also give you a scrooge-like view of the proceedings, about the horrible traffic jams for ten days and nights. Many here might also decry the drinking and debauchery that goes on. I am against drinking to excess, but generally take a softer stand on debauchery.

Like many from our fair city and environs, my wife and son view the holiday as a chance to get in some skiing in the Rockies. In parts of Colorado and Utah, Louisianians often outnumber the locals, and manage to create a carnival atmosphere of a manageable scale.

So, after having enjoyed, on various levels, over 50 of these holidays, I am hard-pressed to come up with some new way of looking at the “true meaning” of Mardi Gras. So I won’t even try.

It is nice, though, to be from a city that people consider “cool.” What’s your view on Mardi Gras, or how cool your town is?

Signature

jbv's Competitive Edge 

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Here in Amish country (Lancaster County, PA) we have Fasnachts instead of King Cakes today.

I use the "we" liberally here. I should say "they". I made a king cake.

http://www.openweblog.com/~hexmode/418632.html

5:16 PM  
Blogger oyster said...

That's interesting, family on my mother's side hails from Lancaster county. My grandad was born there.

Uh, anyways, I was sick this Lundi and Mardis Gras and watched TV while I was recovering. A morning talk show had a segment on the holiday, and they had two fan/correspondents who won a luxury bus trip to the Super Bowl. Afterwards, they decided to take an impromptu detour home via New Orleans, screaming "We're going to Mardis Gras!!" I enjoyed hearing them use Mardis Gras as a destination-- that being New Orleans (although Mobile's is older). One in the same, as you said.

The today show featured chefs from Chicago making a muffaletta on a toasted bun with melted cheese. Sacrilege, I know, but it looked good.

Other cool towns? I'll list a sampling of my favorites. I haven't been to Austin for a while, but last time I was there it was cool. I'm an advocate of trading Baton Rouge for Austin, but no one takes me seriously. San Antonio is cool, too. Houston and Dallas aren't. Florida isn't cool, but the "Conch Republic" (Key West) is. Charleston and Savannah get passing grades. Some cool midwestern towns include Kansas City and Madison, WI-- during warm weather of course. I still hold that Pittsburgh is highly underrated, especially at night.

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home