Sunday, August 28, 2005

Katrina and Friends (Part 1 of ?) ...

From the road:

Slidell, LA: The only thing on anyone's mind today has to be Katrina. It is no longer a question of when to evacuate New Orleans, it is where you are headed.

"Where?" is not as simple a question as it seems because accommodations can be a problem. A friend of ours called this morning from Starkville MS to say that she still felt in harm's way, but the closest motel rooms she could find were in Pine Bluff, AR and Huntsville AL.

We implemented what is affectionately called the "Susan plan." This is so brilliant that I am reluctant to disclose it, but we don't have enough readers to cause any problems for us next time. Just don't tell anyone else.

The plan begins with us leaving on the day that most people spend gathering enough information for an informed decision on evacuation. We leave early (Susan woke me up at 5 a.m. this time, for a 6 a.m. departure). We drive to Slidell (LA, 30 miles NE from home) and stay with friends (the best, those Neubauers) there.

We watch TV in Slidell to see whether the current threat is for real. Since we are so close to home, if we did not have to leave, we spend some quality time with our friends and return. This time, of course, we spent Saturday with the gravity of this situation becoming all too clear.

Normally we then go to Covington LA, 30 miles west of Slidell, and 50 miles from home, where it is usually far enough away to ride out the storm. Not this time.

We are currently on our way to Tuscaloosa AL, home of the Crimson Tide. Tune in Thursday for what happened from there.

Signature

jbv's Competitive Edge 

14 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

As soon as possible.......please let us know how you're doing. I am loking for a friend's daughter. They live in Covington. All I know is that she went just north of Bogalusa. If you know what's going on there please let me know.

Thanks marie

10:39 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I hope everything is going well for your and your family during these difficult times.

Everyone is saying prayers for the people affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Chris
Deliberate Chaos
BA~~32

5:20 PM  
Blogger Jeff Sadow said...

Let us know how you both are doing. I'm really hoping against hope you'll have things to return to. Tell Susan I'll take care of her refugee undergraduates who have wandered over here.
-- JDS

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DUNKIRK DUNKIRK DUNKIRK

10:33 PM  
Blogger tweedledeetweedledum said...

This blog is awesome! If you get a chance you may want to visit this marketing software site, it's pretty awesome too!

4:59 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

make money fast
is easy. make money fast

6:12 PM  
Blogger Marketing man said...

Nice blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a work at home success
site. It pretty much covers work at home success
related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

3:47 AM  
Blogger TS said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

10:19 AM  
Blogger WorldTrader said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a perfect home based business fort worth site, Check it out. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi i am totally blown away with the blogs people have created its so much fun to read alot of good info and you have also one of the best blogs !! Have some time check my link to !!home party business opportunity

8:51 PM  
Blogger cash at home said...

Hello, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a mass email advertising site. It pretty much covers mass email advertising related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)

12:56 AM  
Blogger The Critic said...

I was just searching for a product, service or web page to review for my site SEO Traffic Rank, I'm constantly trying to find related info for traffic tool. Any way I liked your page!

5:52 AM  
Blogger adsense_cash said...

I skim a lot of blogs, and so far yours is in the Top 3 of my list of favorites. I'm going to dive in and try my hand at it, so wish me luck.

It'll be in a totally different area than yours (mine is about top paying adsense keywords
) I know, it sounds strange, but it's like anything, once you learn more about it, it's pretty cool. It's mostly top paying adsense keywords
related subjects.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Rich Molumby said...

I have a Turnkey Royalty Free site/blog. It pretty much covers making money on the web.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home