Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Where I’ve been, where I’m going (Part 2)

This is the conclusion of the interview with Chester Alonzo that we started yesterday:

Then I met the woman who is now my wife. It is amazing what having a significant other person in your life can do for your career. After we got married my attitude toward the Navy changed again. I was advanced in rank to 1st class petty officer. After my children were born I made Chief Petty Officer. Then next thing you know 20 years had gone by and I am now retired.

I am still not sure what I want, however I have lots of skills, and plenty of knowledge and the right attitude to start a new career. I will graduate from the University of New Orleans soon with a degree in Management concentration in Information Technology. I have 20 years of experience in Human Resource/Personnel with several years of experience in technology management through the service and now two years working for the Navy as a contractor.

I have since gained experience working on a help desk, writing requirements and testing web applications in a PeopleSoft environment. I plan on pursuing a Master’ degree and want to start either a consulting business or start my own contracting business for the government. I discovered that going to college has helped me figure out a lot of business aspects that I would not have learn through the service. Experience is a great teacher, however it should be accompanied by schooling. The combination of both makes me a valued commodity that everyone wants.

With the right attitude and a little motivation I will accomplish my goals. I do know that I have to “be prepared” to branch off in other directions because you never know what life is going to throw at you and what opportunities will come your way. I am working hard to make the opportunities come my way and if I combine this with a little luck and lots of faith they will.

Signature

jbv's Competitive Edge 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home